No matter if you are living in a remote area or an urban area, you will find one thing in common and that is curtains. People use curtains due to many reasons. Some use them to block the sun rays from getting inside the house or some people simply hang curtains for enhancing the interior beauty of their house. No matter what’s the reason for having curtains, one thing is for sure that they get dirty with time. And to make them clean and tidy you have to work hard. For deep cleaning the curtains, Hobart Clean Masters recommends you to get in touch with professional curtain cleaning in Hobart.
No one has the time to properly and deeply clean their curtains, that’s why dry cleaning methods are most suitable for getting your curtains cleaned in the least time possible. But these dry cleaning techniques should be properly used otherwise they aren’t that effective and results are not up to mark.
Techniques for curtain cleaning without washing
Although there are so many techniques of cleaning curtains without washing them Hobart Clean Masters is mentioning here only those methods that are most effective as well as can be practiced without any specific knowledge of cleaning. Choose any one of the following methods or multiple methods together to get the best results:
- Vacuuming: This is the most common method of dry cleaning your curtains. A vacuum cleaner easily sucks away all the dust and germs from the curtains and makes them dust-free. But if you have blackout curtains, then it may become difficult to clean them with a vacuum cleaner. This method will only work effectively on those curtains, through which air could flow easily like cotton or linen. Vacuuming your curtains will not just save your time but it will also make your curtain look better. For best results keep the suction power of your vacuum cleaner at medium power. For reaching and cleaning the top area of your curtains, you can simply add the long attachment or simply make use of a ladder. In the case of simple dust removal, nothing else beats the vacuum clear.
- Shaking off: you can shake off your curtains to get rid of dust that has been deposited on the surface. You can simply climb a ladder to hold the curtain from the top and shook it vigorously. But doing so will make your room dusty. So another way of doing this is by removing the curtains from the rod and taking them outside in your backyard and then shake off the curtains to remove the dust. This is the easiest way of curtain cleaning at home but it has some drawbacks also. Just by shaking off the curtains, only the heavy dust particles are removed from the curtain, the dust that is deep inside the fibers of your curtains won’t be removed by this method. So you must not rely on this method if you are looking forward to deep cleaning.
- Steaming: steaming your curtains will not just remove dust from the curtains but it will have many other benefits. The vapors of hot water penetrate through the fabric of your curtains and deep clean them. The steam helps the fibers of your curtain to lose the dust that’s deeply stuck inside them. Another benefit of steam curtain cleaning is that it will extend the lifespan of your curtains by helping them regain their original form. And most importantly, the steam will kill all the microbes present on your curtains. Overall speaking, the steam cleaning method of curtain cleaning at home is the best. But for doing things in the best way possible you need to either buy or rent a steam cleaner that can be easily used for cleaning curtains without washing.
- Window cleaning: it might sound off the track like we were talking about curtain cleaning then why on earth are we now talking about window cleaning. But if you think critically, you will come to know that curtains get dirty, most of the time due to dirty windows. Yes, when curtains rub against your dirty windows, they collect all the dirt and after some time start looking shabby. So if you want your curtains to stay clean for a long time, then you need to clean your windows too and that also regularly. Just like any other piece of cloth, the curtains also collect dust from any nearby dirty surface, so keep this in mind and daily clean the windows.
- Brush away lint: with time, the loose fibers keep on breaking and depositing along the outer surface of the curtains and take the form of tiny cotton balls. These loose fibers are called lint and removing them is not that tough. All you need is a brush or synthetic cleaning gloves. By brushing the curtains, you will be able to easily remove the lint in no time. If you think that lint isn’t that much of a problem then think twice. These loose fibers go inside your nose while you breathe and cause irritation in your nose. Another thing that they do is that they collect dust and dirt along with them and that’s why if you don’t clean them, they turn become darker and darker with time.
- Rubbing alcohol: if you’re living in cities then this is the best way to clean curtains. Most of the apartments in cities are big and the windows are large too. So eventually the curtains also hang high. You cant get them down, wash them and then wait for them to dry and then again put them on. So instead you can use rubbing alcohol to clean them easily. Put some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle full of water and add some dish soap to it. Mix them well and spray them directly on the surface of the curtain. After this, you need to rinse the area thoroughly so that the solution gets inside the curtain and breaks down dust particles. This will not just take care of dust but also make sure that the light stains are removed. After the cleaning is done, you can turn on the fan to let the curtains dry or you can use a blow drier to speed up the process.
- Open the windows: you must have noticed a musty and unpleasant odor coming from your curtains, even though they are dust-free and spotless. This happens when your curtains don’t get enough fresh air. In the absence of fresh air, the fibers of your curtains develop multiple bacteria due to the sweat that gets into the fabric from your touch. And with time the bacteria keep developing and decomposing the salts present inside the sweat. That’s why to get rid of this bad odor you must keep your windows open every day for some time to let the air pass through the fabric of your curtains.
Curtain cleaning do’s and don’ts
There are several things that you must keep in mind while cleaning your curtains. Here are some do’s and don’ts mentioned here by Hobart Clean Masters for your convenience:
- Before you do anything, look at the label on the curtains to gather knowledge about your curtains like the fabric of the curtain, how to wash it, whether to dry clean or regular clean, etc.
- Brush your curtains once or twice a week as it will get rid of all the loose fibers and lint from your curtains and maintain their looks.
- For delicate fabric curtains, adopt hand hash as it will not cause any damage to the curtains, use of cold water is recommended.
- Before you take off the curtains for cleaning, make sure that the weights and hooks on the curtains are removed beforehand.
- The speed of the vacuum cleaner used for vacuuming the curtains should be adjusted at medium power to make sure the curtains are properly cleaned.
- Keep your windows open to ensure that your curtains stay fresh and don’t emit any bad odor.
- Never use very high-temperature water for cleaning your curtains as it may discolor your curtains or in some cases it may also damage the fabric and even shrink them.
- If the curtains are supposed to be dry cleaned then don’t put them in the washing machine for cleaning purposes as it will damage them.
- Never put your curtains under direct sunlight after washing them or else they may shrink.
- If you have blackout curtains, then don’t put them in the washing machine for cleaning as it will damage the synthetic coating inside the curtains.
- Don’t use bleach for spot cleaning a dark color curtain as it will discolor them and make them look so much worse.
- Do not twist your silk curtains while trying to dry them as it will make them look so bad.
- Do not rub them or wring your cotton curtains too much or else it will break the fibers and your curtain will be torn apart in no time.
- If you are putting your curtains out for drying then you should not put them on branches or trees or any old wooden frame as it will stain the curtains.
There are plenty of cleaning methods that can be adopted for cleaning your curtains. Some are time-consuming but rewarding, while some are quick but don’t give you satisfactory results. You may give a try to all these techniques and then decide for yourself which one worked best and then use that method for future also. But this may take you a lot of time to test each of these methods. So don’t you think it’s better to get in touch with professional cleaners and get their help. Hobart Clean Masters is among the leading cleaners in Hobart and has been in this business for some time now. Our team of technicians has plenty of experience and knowledge about all the types of techniques that could be used for proper cleaning.
So whenever you are in a need of getting your curtains cleaned, without giving it a second thought, you must get in touch with Hobart Clean Masters workers as they are the best at what they do. Another benefit of having professionals clean your curtains is that they know all about the types of curtains and what kind of cleaning agent would work best for making them clean. So by getting professionals to clean your curtains, you are in a win-win situation, you get neat and clean curtains, and that also without wasting any previous time of yours and most importantly without causing any damage to them.
- Can curtains be cleaned while hanging?
Answer: Yes, you can clean your curtains while hanging. In fact, if you have long curtains that are difficult to remove, then you must try cleaning them while hanging, to save time. You can simply use a brush and vacuum cleaner to clean them.
- How often should you wash curtains?
Answer: If you live in a dust-prone area then you must wash your curtains every 6-8 months and if you live in an area near the sea then you must do this in 7-12 months. In any other region, you need to wash your curtains once a year, or at least once in 2 years.
- Can you wash curtains that say dry clean only?
Answer: Yes, you can, but you need to do it carefully. You can wash them in cold or normal water with your hands or if you prefer a machine, then run it on a gentle cycle. For drying them simply hang them in open but not in direct sunlight. Do not dry them in a machine dryer, otherwise, it may shrink your curtains.
- How do you get stains out of curtains?
Answer: A single substance or cleaning method cant get rid of all the types of stains. So you must know what kind of stain you have and then accordingly implement the technique of cleaning. In general if you want to clean a stain then you can simply mix some detergent in water and soak the curtains in the water, it will remove most kinds of stains.
- What temperature should you wash curtains?
Answer: For washing your silk, linen wool or cotton curtains, the temperature of water must not be above 30° or else it will damage the fabric. Whereas if you have canvas linen curtains, then those could be washed at a higher temperature of 40°.